Dr Savvidou studied Medicine at the Aristotle’s University of Thessaloniki, Greece. Soon after qualifying in 1992, she moved to the UK to complete her post-graduate specialist training in Obstetrics and Gynaecology at several key London teaching hospitals.
Dr Savvidou became a Member of the Royal College of Obstetrician and Gynaecologists in 1998 and a Fellow of the Royal College of Obstetrician and Gynaecologists in 2016. Her research post undertaken at the world-renowned Harris Birthright Research Centre at King’s College Hospital, focused on serious maternal pregnancy-related conditions. Dr Savvidou’s MD Thesis was obtained from the University of London in 2004.
Through additional specialist training at King’s College Hospital, London Dr Savvidou developed her professional interest surrounding high-risk pregnancies and complicated fetal conditions.
Dr Savvidou is an accredited sub-specialist in Fetal and Maternal Medicine and the clinical lead for Fetal Medicine at Chelsea & Westminster Hospital where she became a Consultant in 2008.
Throughout her career, Dr Savvidou has had a long-standing interest in academic research and training/education. Dr Savvidou is also a reviewer and scientific editor of many scientific journals in the field of Obstetrics such as the British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (BJOG).
- Belbasis L, Savvidou MD, Kanu C, Evangelou E, Tzoulaki I. Birth weight in relation to health and disease in later life: an umbrella review of systematic reviews and meta-analyses. BMC Med 2016;14(1):147.
- Jauniaux E, Savvidou MD. Vasa praevia: more than 100 years in preventing unnecessary fetal deaths. BJOG 2016;123:1287.
- 3Nawathe AR, Christian M, Kim SH, Johnson M, Savvidou MD, and Terzidou V. Insulin-like growth factor axis in pregnancies affected by fetal growth disorders. Clinical Epigenetics 2016;8:11
- Maric T, Singh N, Duncan K, Thorpe-Beeston GJ, Savvidou MD. First-trimester fetal growth discordance and development of preeclampsia in dichorionic twin pregnancies. J Perinat Med 2015;43:755-9.
- Savvidou MD, Syngelaki A, Balakitsas N, Panaiotova E, Nicolaides KH. First-trimester uterine Doppler examination in pregnancies complicated by gestational diabetes mellitus with or without pre-eclampsia. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2013;42:525-9.
- Makgoba M, Savvidou M, Steer P. The effect of maternal characteristics and gestational diabetes on birthweight. BJOG 2012;119:1091-7.
- Savvidou MD, Makgoba M, Castro PT, Akolekar R, Nicolaides KH. First-trimester maternal serum vitamin D and mode of delivery. Br J Nutr 2012;24:1-4.
- Savvidou MD, Syngelaki A, Muhaisen M, Emelyanenko E, Nicolaides KH. First trimester maternal serum free β-human chorionic gonadotropin and pregnancy-associated plasma protein A in pregnancies complicated by diabetes mellitus. BJOG 2012;119:410-6.
- Makgoba M, Savvidou MD, Steer PJ. An analysis of the interrelationship between maternal age, body mass index and racial origin in the development of gestational diabetes mellitus. BJOG 2012;119:276-82.
- Savvidou MD, Akolekar R, Samaha RB, Masconi AP, Nicolaides KH. Maternal serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels at 11(+0) -13(+6) weeks in pregnant women with diabetes mellitus and in those with macrosomic neonates. BJOG 2011;118:951-5.
- Savvidou M, Samuel M, Akolekar R, Poulton M, Nicolaides K. First trimester maternal uterine artery Doppler examination in HIV-positive women. HIV Med 2011;12:632-6.
- Savvidou MD, Kaihura C, Anderson JM, Nicolaides KH. Maternal arterial stiffness in women who subsequently develop pre-eclampsia. PLoS One 2011;6:e18703.
- Makgoba M, Nelson SM, Savvidou M, Messow CM, Nicolaides K, Sattar N. First-Trimester Circulating 25-Hydroxy Vitamin D Levels and Development of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus. Diabetes Care 2011;34:1091-3.
- Nanda S, Savvidou M, Syngelaki A, Akolekar R, Nicolaides KH. Prediction of gestational diabetes mellitus by maternal factors and biomarkers at 11 to 13 weeks. Prenat Diagn 2011;31:135-41.
- Savvidou M, Samuel I, Syngelaki A, Poulton M, Nicolaides K. First-trimester markers of aneuploidy in women positive for HIV. BJOG 2010;118:844-8.
- Savvidou M, Nelson SM, Makgoba M, Messow CM, Sattar N, Nicolaides K. First-trimester prediction of gestational diabetes mellitus: examining the potential of combining maternal characteristics and laboratory measures. Diabetes 2010;59:3017-22.
- Savvidou MD, Anderson JM, Kaihura C, Nicolaides KH. Maternal arterial stiffness in pregnancies complicated by gestational and type 2 diabetes mellitus. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2010; 203:274.e1-7.
- Anderson JM, Savvidou MD, Kaihura C, McEniery CM, Nicolaides KH. Maternal arterial stiffness in pregnancies affected by Type 1 diabetes mellitus. Diabet Med 2009;26:1135-40.
- Kaihura C, Savvidou MD, Anderson JM, McEniery CM, Nicolaides KH. Maternal arterial stiffness in pregnancies affected by preeclampsia. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 2009;297:H759-64.
- Savvidou MD, Akolekar R, Zaragoza E, Poon LC, Nicolaides KH. First trimester urinary placental growth factor and development of pre-eclampsia. BJOG 2009;116:643-7.
- Macedo ML, Luminoso D, Savvidou MD, McEniery CM, Nicolaides KH. Maternal wave reflections and arterial stiffness in normal pregnancy as assessed by applanation tonometry. Hypertension 2008;51:1047-51.
- Savvidou MD, Noori M, Anderson JM, Hingorani AD, Nicolaides KH. Maternal endothelial function and serum concentrations of placental growth factor and soluble endoglin in women with abnormal placentation. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2008;32:871-6.
- Savvidou MD, Sotiriadis A, Kaihura C, Nicolaides KH, Sattar N. Circulating levels of adiponectin and leptin at 23-25 weeks of pregnancy in women with impaired placentation and in those with established fetal growth restriction. Clinical Science (Lond) 2008;115:219-24.
- Makrydimas G, Sotiriadis A, Savvidou MD, Spencer K, Nicolaides KH. Physiological distribution of placental growth factor and soluble Flt-1 in early pregnancy. Prenatal Diagnosis 2008;28:175-9.
- Savvidou MD, Xiao Q, Kaihura C, Anderson JM, Nicolaides KH. Maternal circulating endothelial progenitor cells in normal singleton and twin pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2008;198:414.e1-5.
- Savvidou MD, Yu CK, Harland LC, Hingorani AD, Nicolaides KH. Maternal serum concentration of soluble fms-like tyrosine kinase 1 and vascular endothelial growth factor in women with abnormal uterine artery Doppler and in those with fetal growth restriction. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2006;195:1668-73.
- Savvidou MD, Setchell T, Sieunarine K, Smith RJ. Conservative surgical management of ruptured interstitial pregnancy. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2006;85:629-31.
- Yu CK, Casas JP, Savvidou MD, Sahemey MK, Nicolaides KH, Hingorani AD. Endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene polymorphism (Glu298Asp) and development of pre-eclampsia: a case-control study and a meta-analysis. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2006;6:7-15.
- Spencer K, Yu CK, Savvidou M, Papageorghiou AT, Nicolaides KH. Prediction of pre-eclampsia by uterine artery Doppler ultrasonography and maternal serum pregnancy-associated plasma protein-A, free beta-human chorionic gonadotropin, activin A and inhibin A at 22 + 0 to 24 + 6 weeks' gestation. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2006;27:658-63.
- Savvidou MD, Hingorani AD, Tsikas D, Frolich JC, Vallance P, Nicolaides KH. Endothelial dysfunction and elevated circulating levels of asymmetric dimethylarginine in pregnant women who subsequently develop pre-eclampsia. The Lancet 2003;361:1511-7.
- Kametas N, Savvidou MD, Donald A, McAullife F, Nicolaides KH. Flow-mediated dilatation of the brachial artery in pregnancy at high altitude. BJOG 2002;109:930-7.
- Savvidou MD, Lees CL, Parra M, Hingorani A, Nicolaides K. Levels of C-reactive protein in pregnant women who subsequently develop preeclampsia. BJOG 2002;109:297-301.
- Savvidou MD, Karanastasi E, Skentou H, Geerts L, Nicolaides KH. Twin chorionicity and preeclampsia. Ultrasound Obstet Gynaecol 2001;18:228-31.
- Savvidou MD, Vallance P, Nicolaides K, Hingorani A. Glu298Asp polymorphism of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase and maternal vascular adaptation in pregnancy. Hypertension 2001;38:1289-93.
- Savvidou MD, Donald A, Nicolaides KH. Assessment of endothelial function in normal twin pregnancy. Ultrasound Obstet Gynaecol 2000 ;17:220-3.
- Savvidou MD, Kametas N, Donald A, Nicolaides KH. Non-invasive assessment of endothelial function in pregnancy. Ultrasound Obstet Gynaecol 2000;15:502-7.
- Savvidou MD, Spencer JAD. Measuring fetal scalp blood lactate during labour. British Journal of Midwifery 2000;8:233-8.
- Savvidou MD, Edwards G, Davies N. Use of steroids, tocolytics and antibiotics in the management of preterm labour in Wales. J Obstet Gynaecol 1998;18:315-7.
- Savvidou M, Dhillon J. Urinary Tract Abnormalities. In Twining's Textbook of Fetal Abnormalities. Eds Coady & Bower. Churchill Livingstone, Elsevier. pp 544-584, 2015
- Noori M, Savvidou M & Williams DJ. Endothelial Factors. In Pre-eclampsia: Etiology and Clinical Practice. Eds, Lyall & Belfort. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. pp 50-77, 2007